Do you really need more face cream or another cushion for the couch as presents? Is your children’s toy box already overflowing with more games and Lego they can possibly ever play with? Is your husband going to groan as he unwraps his fifteenth pair of socks and tenth shaving kit? Well, have you thought of ditching the ‘stuff’ presents and buying an experience gift for your loved ones instead?
According to science, if you’re trying to buy happiness, it’s better to spend money on an experience than the latest iPhone. The novelty of a shiny new gadget or toy fades quicker than taking part in an exciting event that brings wonderful lifelong memories. So, whether it’s a birthday, Christmas or ‘just because’ gift, check out our suggestions below for some awesome ‘experience gift’ ideas here in Singapore.
How about a membership for the kids or whole family to enjoy? Singapore boasts a huge number of exciting attractions that will always provide great entertainment, however many times you visit:
GIFTS FOR KIDS:
1. SINGAPORE ZOO FAMILY MEMBERSHIP– You can never tire of this amazing attraction for all ages. With the unpredictability of animal behaviour and the zoo’s regular upgrading, there is always something new to see or explore. Also, the children’s play area with water playground is a must visit every time!
2. S.E.A. AQUARIUM MEMBERSHIP- This underwater paradise is a great excursion and the mesmerising huge Open Ocean tank never ceases to amaze, however many times you visit. Membership starts from $88 per adult and $68 per child (4-12 years) and privileges include priority entrance, complimentary access to the Typhoon Theatre, discounts on Ocean Dreams (Singapore’s coolest sleep-over venue!) and VIP Tours, plus one free ice-cream for the junior members from the S.E.A-side snacks per visit. If you buy a membership before 31st December 2017 you can enjoy 10% off and two $5 meal vouchers.
3. BOUNCE MEMBERSHIP- this place is heaven for most children and we all know that happy kids make happy parents! With you little darlings able to jump away their energies on the professional grade trampolines, play dodgeball and basketball, experience the amazing X-Park and leap of faith, it is one of Singapore’s best indoor adventure parks.
4. BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS WITH GIFT-IT-FORWARD - This is a fabulous initiative and is the perfect gift for those who enjoy helping others. Send your birthday invite and the company set up an automated personal gift fund. One portion of the fund goes to charity of your choice and then the remaining money can go towards one group gift you wish to receive. It is a great idea for any member of the family and one which encourages social awareness and charity giving – for some at a very early age.
GIFTS FOR COUPLES:
Want a joint gift to give to that special couple of fancy doing something special with your other half? Then check out these fab options:
5. SUNSET CRUISE - what is more romantic than an unforgettable voyage for just the two of you? Enjoy your own personal 4-hour luxury sailing experience on a chartered yacht. Sail to a nearby island and take a dip, go kayaking, snorkelling or fishing, or just enjoy each other’s company. You can also arrange for a BBQ or private picnic on-board.
6. CLAY & POTTERY WORKSHOP – For the creative couple, why not enjoy a ceramic 3.5-hour workshop where you can make your own personalised piece of ceramic pottery to take home. The session includes all materials and a tour of one of Singapore's last dragon kilns. Not only is it inspiring and fun, but you will take home your ceramic pottery as a happy keepsake and memory for years to come! Available as group or private sessions.
7. PERSONALIZED PERFUME MAKING WORKSHOP – this is a fun 2-hr workshop where couples can create their own personalised scent. Combining both your personalities and favourite aromas, you can co-design an everyday perfume for you both to wear and remind yourselves of each other. You can bring wine with you too.
GIFTS FOR HER:
Want to pamper that special lady in your life? Spoil her with a special surprise:
8. STYLIZED PICNIC FOR TWO - Whisk your partner away for a few hours to her favourite place under the trees or stars and arrange a wonderful picnic for her. Just pick the location and then simply turn up to find the most gorgeously stylized picnic complete with gourmet food & beverages waiting for you. You also get to relax as all the clearing away afterwards is done for you!
9. PRIVATE HOME DINING - If your partner would prefer being in a comforting home environment enjoying freshly prepared gourmet food, why not give her the night off with a 3-course meal for two, prepared and hosted by celebrity chef, Sarab Kapoor. She will prepare sumptuous dishes in her stunning house that you and your better half will love.
10. EXPLORE SINGAPORE TOUR – Discover more about the amazing Little Red Dot. This is perfect for those curious women out there who want to know more about Singapore's rich history and heritage. You can enjoy group tours or enjoy your own customised excursion for groups of any size including individuals. So, whatever your partner is interested in, you can arrange the perfect tour for her.
GIFTS FOR HIM:
Let’s not forget the men, they deserve some fun too!
11. MICHELIN STAR HAWKER CENTER TOUR – This fabulous tour gives you a real taste of Singapore’s legendary street food scene. Now being recognised in the infamous Michelin Guide, discover and try some of the best hawker food on the island. This is a fun and informative tour that will tantalise your partner’s taste buds. Also, you won’t need to queue for hours like other’s do, he will learn, experience and indulge, without the hassle.
12. FLIGHT SIMULATOR – Let your partner’s inner pilot take flight on-board the state-of-the-art, professional flight simulators based on the Boeing 737-800. These simulators include high-fidelity, real-size cockpits with accurate and fully-functional aircraft controls, instrumentation and systems so your man will really believe he is a fully trained pilot!
13. VIRTUAL REALITY ROOM – The future of entertainment is here and this is a great opportunity for your partner to immerse himself in amazing new worlds on another level. The experience allows participants to explore virtual realms they never thought possible and collaborate in teams to solve puzzles or defeat the enemy. You can purchase gift vouchers so he can play multiple game experiences with his friends or family.
14. EXPERIENCE GIFT CARD- With so many experiences to choose from, thinking of the perfect one can be hard. A great solution is a gift card so the recipient can choose which exciting adventure they would like to try. Check out the DateFyx Gift Voucher which can be used for any bespoke experience, as well as purchasing any of the listed experiences on the website. It is delivered either via email or sent in a beautifully gift pack and must be used within 6 months of purchase.
So, think outside the wrapped-up present box next time you have a gift to buy for that special person. What better way to celebrate or say thank you than by giving fun and wonderful memories that will last forever!
This blog is contributed by Peta Delahunty. Originally from the UK, she has lived in Singapore for the past 9 years with her family. She is a self-confessed word nerd and when not writing and being a mum, loves exploring Singapore's fabulous food scene and enjoying its vibrant attractions.